In the summer of 2010, Maggie Day was enjoying the warm weather when she started to experience breathlessness.
This increased in severity and by September 2010, thinking she had a chest infection or something similar, she went to see her GP. Medical investigations followed and at the local hospital resulted in a diagnosis of Mesothelioma.
It was explained to Maggie that this was a type of lung cancer which had nothing to do with smoking. Her Consultant asked her whether she had come into contact with asbestos. At that time Mrs Day said she could not readily recollect any obvious asbestos exposure.
At a meeting at her home with Webbers Solicitors, Maggie Day recalled working in administrative capacities during her working life, stopping only to raise a family. She did not believe she had come into contact with asbestos during childhood, or by any other means, such as washing her husband’s work clothes.
On reflection though, Mrs Day recalled working in a paper mill in the 1970s. She was employed in a clerical role. She remembered having to go into the production and machine areas several times a week in order to check staffing requirements. She had to meet with the supervisor of each area and then report back to management. Maggie said she had to manoeuvre around maintenance workers who performed repairs to lagged pipework which ran throughout the premises. The pipe insulation contained asbestos and lagging work was done in her presence. Mrs Day recollected forklift trucks colliding with the lagged piping, causing it to rupture and release asbestos particles.
Webbers agreed to pursue a claim for Maggie, at no cost to her. Her employers were still trading, albeit under a different name. They were insured and accepted that the employer had negligently exposed Maggie to asbestos and agreed to accept her claim. Her case was resolved within 6 months.
Maggie Day’s case highlights the increasing number of people who have not fitted the traditional profile of a Mesothelioma sufferer, such as power station workers, ship builders and other tradesmen. Through no fault of her own, she wrongly came into contact with asbestos, despite working as an administrator. This appalling situation occurred at a time when it was known there was no “safe” level of exposure to asbestos.
At Webbers, we have acted for many clients who come from all walks of life. We have fought and won compensation on behalf of secretaries, surveyors, architects, administrators and store managers, as well as tradesmen.
Do you know someone who has Mesothelioma? If so, please contact us immediately.
Subscribe in a reader